Re: BDE Configuration

From: Tibor Laszlo <ltibor(at)mail(dot)tiszanet(dot)hu>
To: <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Miguel Gonzalez" <iafmgc(at)unileon(dot)es>
Subject: Re: BDE Configuration
Date: 2001-01-12 18:46:50
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

> I have a Red Hat 6.2 Linux with PostgreSQL 7.0.3 intalled. I want to access
> via ODBC driver from Windows 98/NT configuring an alias of the BDE of C++
> Builder 3.0. How can I configure the alias? I havent found any
> documentation about it.

We use PostgreSQL with C++Builder 4 Professional. (You don't have to buy the
Enterprise version as the Borland/Inprise marketing says. The Prof. ver. is
enough for simple ODBC connections.)

1. Setting up the ODBC Data Source

After you have installed the PostgreSQL ODBC driver you have to make an ODBC
Data Source in the control panel's ODBC Data Sources program.

There is a documentation floating around about the options. I can't remember
where. We hawe our standards for them.

The ODBC Data Source will referenced with it's Name you have set (ODBC DSN).

2. Setting up the BDE alias

Try the simplest! Don't play the settings if isn't neccesary.

Make a new BDE "Database" in the BDE Administrator from the Windows Control
Panel. Set the ODBC DSN you have created in the right list. Try to open the
"Database" on the left. I hope it will work for you. Now, when I try it again, I
get error messages...

3.Setting up a TDatabase component

From C++Builder - you can set the Database property of a TDatabase component to
the BDE "Database" name. The TDatabase component will encapsulate a
connection for you. You have to chose an AliasName in this TDatabase to
identify the connection. Set the dataset's DataBase name to the alias name.
(This name isn't a pointer, it's a simple AnsiString!)

Is it right? I think it's complicated and you may get problems... We don't
use BDE any more, but if I can, I will try help.

There are other component packages you can use in your C++Builder projects.
Try modbc (free) or ODBCExpress (there are free evaulation versions). These
packages make direct ODBC connections without BDE.

--
Tibor Laszlo
ltibor(at)mail(dot)tiszanet(dot)hu