Re: CommandStatus from insert returning when using a portal.

From: chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net
To: Dave Cramer <davecramer(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: CommandStatus from insert returning when using a portal.
Date: 2023-07-14 16:07:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2023-07-12 20:57, Dave Cramer wrote:
> Without a cursor it returns right away as all of the results are
> returned
> by the server. However with cursor you have to wait until you fetch the
> rows before you can get the CommandComplete message which btw is wrong
> as
> it returns INSERT 0 0 instead of INSERT 2 0

To make sure I am following, was this describing a comparison of
two different ways in Java, using JDBC, to perform the same operation,
one of which behaves as desired while the other doesn't? If so, for
my curiosity, what do both ways look like in Java?

Or was it a comparison of two different operations, say one
an INSERT RETURNING and the other something else?

Regards,
-Chap