Re: adminpack and pg_catalog

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Neil Conway" <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Subject: Re: adminpack and pg_catalog
Date: 2006-10-21 08:52:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

-----Original Message-----
From: "Neil Conway" <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>; "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Sent: 21/10/06 02:03
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] adminpack and pg_catalog

On Fri, 2006-10-20 at 22:59 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Nothing except initdb should add objects in pg_catalog. AFAICS,
> adminpack doesn't have any special requirements, so it should behave
> like all other contrib modules.

> Okay. Are there any opinions on whether we should make this change to
> contrib/adminpack now (i.e. during the 8.2 beta), later (for 8.3), or
not all at?

If you change it you will make it useless as pgAdmin won't necessarily find the functions it expects. You might as well just remove it (which will almost certainly cause delays to pgAdmin - and pgInstallers - release as I'll need to find time to put it all back how it was).

Regards, Dave