Collation Order Change

From: "Len Morgan" <len-morgan(at)crcom(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Collation Order Change
Date: 2002-05-22 12:16:04
Lists: pgsql-general

I made the mistake of doing a rather "large" upgrade to my application (new
hardware, new version of the OS, latest Postgresql, etc) and it has not
worked right since. The problem is that the sort order has changed on text
fields. The archives mentioned an i18n or something like that file that
determined the local order but I didn't see how to apply that information to
my situation. My before and afters are:

Before:
Postgres: 7.0
OS: RH 7.0

After:
Postgres: 7.2
OS: RH 7.2

The problem shows up in names that contain more than one word. It seems
that the "new" alphabetical order doesn't look at spaces or dashes when
deciding on order. For example:

De La Rosa-Acosta
De La Rosa-Asente
Delarosa-Garcia
De La Rosa-Mendez

The third name should be after all of the "De La Rosa"s which it was on the
old system. What do I need to do to change this back to the "correct"
sorting order? I made it by last months billing by dragging out the old
hardware/software but that won't work any more.

Thanks

Len Morgan