Re: 9.3 Beta1 status report

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila(at)huawei(dot)com>
To: "'Bruce Momjian'" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: "'PostgreSQL-development'" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 9.3 Beta1 status report
Date: 2013-05-16 15:08:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thursday, May 16, 2013 7:17 PM Bruce Momjian wrote:
> the
> > > below
> projections.
> > > A0(at)gemulon(dot)postgresql(dot)org
> > >
> > > I did not think that warranted a mention in the release notes. Was
> > > wrong?
> >
> > This was a performance improvement for a quite usable scenario, so I
> thought
> > it would be useful for users to know about it.
> > Performance data for simple cases I have posted:
> > http://www.postgresql.org/message-
> id/007e01ce08ff$dc0a2c60$941e8520$(at)kapila@
> > huawei.com
>
> I usually mention items that have a user-visible change, or are easy to
> explain, or apply to most queries. I am not sure this falls into any
> of
> those categories.
>
> Can you suggest some release note text for this item?

I can think of below text:

Reduce query processing overhead by avoiding insertion of useless plan nodes
OR
Improve performance of certain kind of queries by avoiding extra processing
of doing projection

This applies to queries doing identity projection ("SELECT * FROM ...") for
partitioned tables.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.