CRC was: Re: beta testing version

From: "Horst Herb" <hherb(at)malleenet(dot)net(dot)au>
To: "Mikheev, Vadim" <vmikheev(at)SECTORBASE(dot)COM>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: CRC was: Re: beta testing version
Date: 2000-12-07 07:40:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> This may be implemented very fast (if someone points me where
> I can find CRC func). And I could implement "physical log"
> till next monday.

I have been experimenting with CRCs for the past 6 month in our database for
internal logging purposes. Downloaded a lot of hash libraries, tried
different algorithms, and implemented a few myself. Which algorithm do you
want? Have a look at the openssl libraries (www.openssl.org) for a start -if
you don't find what you want let me know.

As the logging might include large data blocks, especially now that we can
TOAST our data, I would strongly suggest to use strong hashes like RIPEMD or
MD5 instead of CRC-32 and the like. Sure, it takes more time tocalculate and
more place on the hard disk, but then: a database without data integrity
(and means of _proofing_ integrity) is pretty worthless.

Horst