OT: Copyright, was Re: Paypal WAS: PostgreSQL speakers needed for OSCON

From: "Chris Travers" <chris(at)travelamericas(dot)com>
To: "Robert Treat" <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, <keith(at)vcsn(dot)com>
Cc: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "Dan Langille" <dan(at)langille(dot)org>, <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: OT: Copyright, was Re: Paypal WAS: PostgreSQL speakers needed for OSCON
Date: 2004-01-07 06:10:23
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Hi Robert;

The problem I see it with the viewpoint you have mentioned here is that
infringing on the record label's copyright doesn't do an adequate job of
furthering an alternative system-- it only draws a line in the sand which
will cause more grief for consumers. BTW, I don't believe that the RIAA is
correct that their revenues are dropping due to piracy. I think that their
revenues are dropping because an alienated user base doesn't want to support
them by buying their products!

The answer is not to pirate music, but rather to do the open source thing
and support open content. Same thing with software. The single biggest
obstacle to acceptance of open source software in most of the world is the
quantity of pirated software out there. Piracy isn't the solution--
constructing an alternate system and forcing the RIAA to learn the HARD
lesson is... I actually think that their actions will signal the beginning
fo the end for record labels in general...

I also would be opposed to distributing open source software via Kazaa, for
these reasons. ANd no, I generally do not pay for software.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers