Re: Interview questions?

From: "Brion Wikes" <brion(at)alamedanet(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Interview questions?
Date: 2003-09-18 02:00:30
Lists: pgsql-php

Odd request.

I am not a developer myself, but would like to know what kinds of technical
interview questions (and possible answers) I can ask developers to try to
find someone that really knows what they are doing.

I need to hire a postreSQL/php developer for some maintenance and upgrade
work on my site.

The site is fairly sophisticated. I think it was built on postreSQL 6X and
PHP. When we loaded to the server, we ended up with 7X and there seems to be
a few wrinkles with the code on the newer version.

A few of the main issues that I am going to need this person to deal with
are:

1) On one custom form, I am getting the error - "no OID was passed"

2) Being able to search "non-case sensitive" AND being able to hold the
order of the results from page to page.

3) Using an "apostrophe" anywhere in any of the forms, creates a page error

4) Every time I edit one of the forms with a url, an extra "http://" gets
put into the address

5) On several forms, if you have not completed all the information, and you
get an error message, ALL of the info that was input during that session, is
cleared.

I am nervous to have a complete stranger working on the code, but the
original developer is no longer available.

I am guessing most of these should be fairly straight forward fixes.

So any help on screening questions that will help me find a developer
capable of solving these problems, is most appreciated.

Regards,

Brion