contracting tables

From: "Peter T(dot) Brown" <peter(at)memeticsystems(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: contracting tables
Date: 2001-11-29 23:50:44
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi--

I have a table with many records, some of which are duplicates (there is no
unique constraints). How can I contract this table to remove any of these
duplicate records? Like when using GROUP BY in a select statement, except
that I want to just remove the extra entries from this table directly... Any
ideas?

Thanks,

Peter Brown