Re: join between a table and function.

From: "David Johnston" <polobo(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: "'Lauri Kajan'" <lauri(dot)kajan(at)gmail(dot)com>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: join between a table and function.
Date: 2011-08-16 13:33:51
Lists: pgsql-general

The easiest way is to put the function in the SELECT list: Note the use of a CTE to avoid executing getAttributes twice - the (result.attrs) refers to the composite typed column and the ".*" expands it into it component parts.

WITH result AS (
SELECT myTable.*, getAttributes(myTable.a) AS attrs
FROM myTable
)
SELECT *, (result.attrs).*
FROM result;

That said, your particular example is a poor candidate for a function (given the limited info you have provided). The first option would be to code a VIEW with "id, class, type" output columns and join that against myTable.

One last minor point; you named the function "getAttributes" but your return signature is not SETOF/TABLE and thus can only ever return a single attribute...

David J.