Re: VM-Ware Backup of VM safe?

From: "Klaus P(dot) Pieper" <kpi6288(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: VM-Ware Backup of VM safe?
Date: 2017-09-20 18:24:05
Lists: pgsql-general

> Von: pgsql-general-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org [mailto:pgsql-general-
> owner(at)postgresql(dot)org] Im Auftrag von George Neuner
>
> But VSS is needed only to copy VM files *while* they are in use. If you snapshot
> the VM, the snapshot files then are read-only and can be freely copied. As long
> as the backup avoids the currently active files, there is no danger.

But if you take a snapshot without VSS writer functions, I tend to believe that there is a serious potential that relevant information is still only in RAM and not written to disk. This would get lost in the snapshot.
I may be wrong, but my understanding of a VSS writer is that all transaction and log files are flushed to disk prior tot he snapshot.

Klaus

---