Re: MySQL has transactions

From: "David Wall" <d(dot)wall(at)computer(dot)org>
To: "Norman J(dot) Clarke" <norman(at)combimatrix(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: MySQL has transactions
Date: 2001-01-24 23:18:35
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Great comparison. I've just compiled MySQL 3.23.32 with the Berkeley DB
support for transactions (the binary distribution, sad to say, does not
include it!). I know that MySQL also has a type 4 JDBC driver by Mark
Matthews and it's worked well for me in the past using the pre-BDB
transaction files.

I do love the features of Postgresql 7.0.3, but the large object support has
been really bad, causing an 800 byte binary item to require 24K of disk
space across two files, neither of which are part of the backup of the
database, and neither of which are deleted when the row pointing to them is
deleted. (There's a vacuumlo that solves that one in the background.) And
the JDBC library doesn't seem to want me to use the BYTEA type for small
byte arrays. What I really want is a good-old BLOBs with minimal overhead
that are truly part of the database and its transaction/backup world.

David