Built in Functions use with recordsets

From: "Gordan Bobic" <gordan(at)freeuk(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Built in Functions use with recordsets
Date: 2000-11-30 10:58:33
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi.

I'm trying to get an average value (avg()) of a certain attribute in a
table. The snag is, I don't want this across a whole table. I only want it
over a certain set of records. In effect, I want to do something like:

SELECT somefield
FROM sometable
WHERE otherfield = 'criteria'
ORDER BY thirdfield
LIMIT 10

and then do an avg(somefield).

Can this be done without using temp tables, in a single query? I tried
making a function that does this, but even if I used temp tables, the
function didn't work, claiming that the table didn't exist.

Ideally, I want to do something like:

SELECT avg
(
SELECT somefield