Re: Connexion to Postgresql using TCP/IP

From: Secrétariat <ets(at)rolland-fr(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Connexion to Postgresql using TCP/IP
Date: 2004-07-23 15:23:32
Lists: pgsql-general

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Secrétariat" <ets(at)rolland-fr(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Sent: Friday, July 23, 2004 4:33 PM
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Connexion to Postgresql using TCP/IP

> =?iso-8859-1?Q?Secr=E9tariat?= <ets(at)rolland-fr(dot)com> writes:
> > I use a PostgreSQL server 7.4 on Linux Mandrake 10 with IP 192.168.0.15,
> > a database gestix is created.
> > An PostegreSQL user "postgres" id defined on this server,
> > I add in the .bash_profile of this user the line :
> > PGDATA=$HOME/data; export PGDATA
>
> > When I log as postgres if I use :
> > pg_ctl start
> > the postmaster is coming up,
> > I can connect from the PC with PgAdmin3 under Windows XP.
>
> > On automatic startup, or when I use :
> > service postgresql start
> > I can't connect from the PC.
>
> It sounds like the service-start case is picking a different data
> directory than you're expecting --- likely /var/lib/postgres, or
> whatever the installation default is.
>
> I'm not sure what's in Mandrake 10, but I can tell you that in the Red
> Hat RPMs, putting a PGDATA definition into ~/.bash_profile did not work
> until very very recently. The init script did
> su - postgres -s /bin/sh -c "postmaster ..."
> thus forcing /bin/sh to be used, and /bin/sh won't pay any attention
> to ~/.bash_profile.
>
> This is fixed in recent RPMs (basically by removing "-s /bin/sh"), or
> you can dodge the problem by copying the variable definitions into
> regular sh's ~/.profile.
>
> regards, tom lane

You are perfectly right !

I edit /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql,
and I replace the values for PGDATA with the path to my database.
Now I can connect the PC when I use :
service postgresql start

It was due to an update from PG 7.3 to PG 7.4 who has modified the init
script postgresql !
Is it possible to avaid this problem by using the :
/etc/sysconfig/pgsql
How ?

On Mandrake 9.2 & 10 putting PGDATA in the .bash_profile file,
works when using the pg_ctl command in the command line (if using bash for
this user).

Many thanks !
Luc Rolland