Re: Help, 400 million rows, query slow, I stopped after 5 days

From: "Christian Hofmann" <christian(dot)hofmann(at)gmx(dot)de>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Help, 400 million rows, query slow, I stopped after 5 days
Date: 2006-01-30 17:44:57
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hello Tom,

> work_mem and sort_mem are the same ... so looks like you
> already pushed
> it up. Actually, maybe you pushed it up too far --- are you sure that
> the machine has 650M RAM available to spare? On Unix I'd suggest
> watching free memory and swap activity to tell if it's too high, but
> I dunno how to tell on Windows.

Okay, maybe I set it to high. I will try to find that out.

Maybe I should run 26 queries like these:

INSERT INTO table2 (my_col) SELECT DISTINCT my_col from table1 where my_cole
like 'a%'

So postgresql could use my index on my_col and store more data in memory. Do
you think that would be better?

Thank you,

Christian