NEXT MEETING: 9/19/06 - Performance

From: Selena Deckelmann <selena(at)chrisking(dot)com>
To: pdxpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: NEXT MEETING: 9/19/06 - Performance
Date: 2006-09-14 15:25:57
Lists: pdxpug

Hello!

Topic: Performance
When: 9/19/06, 7pm
Where: FreeGeek, 1731 SE 10th Ave

Last night, Gabrielle, David & I talked about an "EXPLAIN for dummies"
talk. I don't think that I'm quite ready to do that. So, instead, how
about we talk about performance?

Gabrielle & I will present a few items from Chapter 4 of the Douglas'
PostgreSQL book. These are oriented toward solving problems inside of
a database.

I have a real-world example of a performance problem that I used a
combination of EXPLAIN and the pg_stat/pg_statio tables to diagnose.
I'll run through that example - complete with pl/pgSQL functions and
maybe a little perl. Gab & I will also put together some other
interesting examples to run through.

We'll have a laptop/projector combo that works this time!

Sorry for the late notice! Speakers for future talks would be
incredibly welcome.

-selena