Space occupied by Postgres index.

From: "Shridhar Polas" <shridharpolas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Space occupied by Postgres index.
Date: 2010-11-30 17:26:53
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi,

I am facing a problem where indexes creates on some tables are occupying
huge space on disk and it seems to me that this space is not getting
reclaimed even when there are very few record in an associated table.

When I ran full vacuum the disk space was reclaimed occupied by tables but
not by disk space occupied by indexes.

Can somebody please tell me when disk space occupied by Postgres index is
reclaimed, without performing re-indexing on those tables?

Thanks,

Shridhar