Dry Run Mode, + W9X

From: "Serguei Mokhov" <mokhov(at)cs(dot)concordia(dot)ca>
To: "pgadmin-hackers" <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Dry Run Mode, + W9X
Date: 2004-09-19 16:52:56
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hello all,

What do you people think of adding a so-called
"dry run" mode to pgAdmin? Basically, what I want
is to be able to step through all the dialogs and forms and
the rest of the UI in some test mode so that I can
see all the GUI elements and their appearance w/o
actually performing any underlying operations. This would be
extremely useful for my translation work and
usability testing. There some cases when I translate
strings they don't fit within the allotted space in
a dialog, etc, and I cannot test it/force it to appear
other than in real situation.

So, I'd like to have some kind of
preview of the UI before I do any actual stuff
(heck, I don't even always have the server available to
test most common scenarios against!).

For example, I'd like to be able to run through
the following scenario and see all corresponding UI
paths w/o actually making a connection:

- "Add server"
- Enter some dummy values
- First pgAdmin pretends that the connection failed.
- Then, the UI pretends the connection is successfully made
and adds a fake server with fake catalog data
- I can browse through the fake data.

Likewise, for other functions of the UI.

This would greatly help me for example not to only translate,
but also test my translations where I have any Windows version
(including 9X) and w/o having ability to connect to a postgres server. Since
I move around quite a lot, this is a frequent scenario. Others
may find it useful too.

I have some ideas on implementing this. This option targets
primarily the developers/translators of pgAdmin. How likely
such a patch is to be accepted by the team? (Not for 1.2 of course,
but for the next release). It can be some debug option...

Thanks,

--
Serguei A. Mokhov