Re: Integration Requirements

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Subject: Re: Integration Requirements
Date: 2005-12-07 20:21:33
Lists: pgsql-www

-----Original Message-----
From: "Josh Berkus"<josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Sent: 07/12/05 17:57:52
To: "Magnus Hagander"<mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
Cc: "pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org"<pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Dave Page"<dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Subject: Re: [pgsql-www] Integration Requirements

> OK, point taken. But in that case we're looking at having only the
> text of the articles available as static content. All other
> functionality will have to run through a dynamic server.

Yes, of course. We currently have 4 static servers and one dynamic (wwwmaster). 95% (a guesstimate) of traffic is simple static stuff - few ppl contribute back.

Then there is the search engine of course. That's another couple of boxes owned and run by John Hansen. Like Google et al, that does full text search, and can weight results based on keywords in meta tags etc, or origin. Of course, we index a lot more frequently than Google, and the current system can even be fed streams of XML data to really streamline indexing. I'm currently reviewing search systems atm to make sure we're stll using the best solution for us.

> If there's value in having the individual articles mirrored statically
> when the primary access system to them is dynamic, it certainly doesn't
> bother me any. The point about google-searching is well made.

I doubt most access will be dynamic - quite the opposite in fact. Ppl will either come from a search engine (maybe ours, maybe not), or by browsing. Only a few will provide feedback, and even less will author.

Regards, Dave

-----Unmodified Original Message-----
Magnus, Dave,

> Yes, please, because I still don't see anything that can't be solved
> within the framework of our curernt static mirror system.

OK, point taken. But in that case we're looking at having only the
text of the articles available as static content. All other
functionality will have to run through a dynamic server.

If there's value in having the individual articles mirrored statically
when the primary access system to them is dynamic, it certainly doesn't
bother me any. The point about google-searching is well made.

--Josh