lost password

From: "Edward W(dot) Rouse" <erouse(at)comsquared(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: lost password
Date: 2009-11-17 21:20:54
Lists: pgsql-sql

I have a database that has a "process" user. I need to move the database to
an additional server. When I restore it gave me a "user not found" error. So
I am trying to recreate this user, but no one knows what the password is
supposed to be. The processes connecting to it have encrypted versions of
the password. And what I can find in the database uses md5. Is there some
way to find out or copy over the users password? Trying to find every
process that uses this login will be very time consuming and we are
guaranteed to miss some and generate a lot of frustration and confusion as
processes that always worked cease. Not to mention that some stuff may be
failing for a while before someone catches it.

I was thinking of just taking the md5 from pg_authid:rolpassword and using
it to update the new server. Will this work? Or is there another way to
retrieve a forgotten password?

Edward W. Rouse

Comsquared System, Inc.

770-734-5301