Re: [HACKERS] Adding a field to each tuple

From: "Maurice Gittens" <mgittens(at)gits(dot)nl>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "PostgreSQL-development" <hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Adding a field to each tuple
Date: 1998-02-26 14:42:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

-----Original Message-----
From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Maurice Gittens <mgittens(at)gits(dot)nl>
Cc: hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org <hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Date: donderdag 26 februari 1998 21:36

>Yes, this is a natural use for a trigger. Create the column in the base
>table, and have it stuff the value on insert. You have to make the
>trigger on each derived table, but you may be able to use the same
>trigger on all tables. This is how we are implementing time travel.

Agreed. This was my first try. But doesn't solve the general problem, of
mapping an arbitrary valid (within the system) OID to the OID of it's class
does it ?!.

So I've started hacking and I'm now encountering my first problems -:).
(I do realize that I going to run into more trouble for large objects.)

Learning new stuff is so much fun -:).

Thanks,
Maurice (who's enjoying himself today.)