Re: Permissions problem on new install

From: "sdeel" <sdeel(at)cox(dot)net>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Permissions problem on new install
Date: 2002-08-08 03:52:56
Lists: pgsql-novice

Tom, I lost running system and had to restart. I could not get system to
restart until user 'postgres' cd'd to /data things are going now and I have
created user, etc. OK. I left message I was preparing before sucess below.
No telling what I had done.

Thanks a lot,
--sad
aborted draft follows:
Tom, this seemed like the most likely source of problem (silly typo).
Howeever, I was scrolling back in terminal window and saw correct entries
when I posted the problem.

I have since had to reboot system (yea I know a real guru would have been
able to ssh in and kill hung xprocess, but that's not me and I am not sure
what the host needs to allow the other box, a Windows machine, in etc.).
The long and short is I can no longer go look at my entries and I now cannot
get postgres to restart! Current problem(s):
trying:
su postgres
postmaster -D /var/local/
.