confused about backslashes

From: "Frank Morton" <fmorton(at)mail(dot)base2inc(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: confused about backslashes
Date: 1998-09-08 14:08:41
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

can someone help me out here.

I want to put the real text data of "\\QM_RIP1\HEIDEL41"
in a text field.

If I put double backslashes representing one backslash
in an insert statement as in "\\\\QM_RIP1\\HEIDEL41"
and then do a select on that field with psql, I actually see
the double backslashes (unexpected). But, if i do a query
using JDBC, it does correctly revert to the single backslash
I originally was after. I still don't follow this, but it works, so
I could just ignore it.

However, then i I do a dump of the database with "pg_dump -d",
this same field comes back out with single backslashes, which
if you pipe as input to psql to reload, the field is missing the
backslashes again.

Could someone explain this to me.