Re: surrogate key or not?

From: "Iain" <iain(at)mst(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "Markus Bertheau" <twanger(at)bluetwanger(dot)de>, <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: surrogate key or not?
Date: 2004-07-22 02:42:49
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi Josh,

Considering that I generally agree with your comments (in this and your
later posts)
I'd say I didn't make myself clear in my brief comment.

Of the considerations: performance, convenience and business logic, I
personally rate performance as the lowest priority. The convenience part has
been well covered in other posts and is second most in my opinion..

By business logic I was thinking of a situation we had on an old db where
employees were idenitfied by codes. These codes were transmitted all over
the database (as you can imagine) which meant that the codes couldn't be
recycled as employees came and left. The answer was to introduce an integer
based auto-generated key. That way the data associated with an ex-employee
is associated with that employee, not with the code. It may be that this
really a convenience issue as opposed to business logic, but in my thinking
the code was data, not a
primary key - it is not even an alternate key (if ex-employees have their
code
nulled it can be made "unique" though). Perhaps the term surrogate key
doesn't apply in this case, I have to admit that I'm not 100% on terminalogy
here.

In the end, accurately representing the business logic is most importent,
and use of a contrived sequential key shouldnt preclude the use of unique
constraints where needed so the problem you described of duplicate events
should never have happened anyway.

This is a great topic though, I find it really interesting.

Regards
Iain