DatabaseMetaData.get(Imi|Ex)portedKeys() and FK_NAME column

From: Tomisław Kityński <t(dot)kitynski(at)11interactive(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: DatabaseMetaData.get(Imi|Ex)portedKeys() and FK_NAME column
Date: 2003-08-26 18:46:13
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hello,

when I call getExportedKeys() or getImportedKeys() on DatabaseMetaData
object returned by getMetaData() called on Connection object, I receive
ResultSet with standard (defined in JDBC) columns. One of it is FK_NAME
and it gives the name of FOREIGN KEY CONSTRAINT. So if I define some
foreign key eg. like this:

<sql>
CONSTRAINT "worker.role.fk"
FOREIGN KEY ("id_worker")
REFERENCES "persons" ("id_person")
ON DELETE CASCADE
ON UPDATE CASCADE
</sql>

I expect to get "worker.role.fk" in FK_NAME column. At least I get
what I suppose I shall get when it concerns PRIMARY KEY (PK_NAME).
But in case of FK_NAME I get something like this:

worker.role.fk\000stands\000persons\000UNSPECIFIED\000id_worker\000id_person\000

(this is one, long string). Is this correct? I mean shall all these
\000 escape codes and other identifiers appear in FK_NAME? I thought
that only the part from begining to the first occurence of '\', excluding it, should be returned. Am I right, ergo there we have some
bug or this string is properly composed and I need do substring() on
it to get the FK_NAME?

I use PSQL 7.3.4 on cygwin, j2sdk1.4.2 and recent pg73jdbc3.jar (build
#113).

TIA.

PS.
I have forgotten the email address under which I have subscribed to
this list. I was hoping to get users list from majordomo, but it
doesn't give out that kind of information. How may I find out under
what address I am subscribed and/or how to change that old address
to the new one? If this needs manual work of the masters of the list,
I can provide possible addresses I probably used while subscribing.

Best regards,