Re: rule for update view that updates/inserts into 2 tables

From: "Chad Showalter" <cshowalter(at)bplglobal(dot)net>
To: "'Robins Tharakan'" <tharakan(at)gmail(dot)com>, "'Martijn van Oosterhout'" <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: rule for update view that updates/inserts into 2 tables
Date: 2008-04-15 15:27:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-sql

Robins and Martijn,

Thanks for the help. My main objective here was to be able to perform both
an update and an insert in one call (wanted to reduce database roundtrips,
and speed up my program), and I am using the view solely to allow me to do
this. What both of you have pointed out is that the behavior I'm seeing
is a natural result of the way I've defined the view.

I don't need to define the view the way I did in my example. I do need the
view to have fields that map to fields in my_audit_table in order to do an
insert into that table with values from the insert statement.

Here's one solution that seems to work. Change my view to the following,
leave rules the same as before:

--Create View

CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW my_view AS

SELECT

t.my_table_id,

t.a,

t.b,

bigint '0' as audit_id,

varchar(255) '' as c

FROM

my_table t;

Does this seem reasonable to you? Do you problems with this approach?

Thanks again for your help,

Chad