how to create a composite type as return type for a Function as Table Source

From: "Tjibbe Rijpma" <t(dot)b(dot)rijpma(at)student(dot)tudelft(dot)nl>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: how to create a composite type as return type for a Function as Table Source
Date: 2004-12-09 14:10:14
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hello,

I want to make a Function as table source. As rettype you have to give a
composite type but how do I make those? I'm using an new empty table with
the the datatypes (INT, INT8, TEXT and a TIMESTAMP) I need.

Is this the normal way how to make composite types?

Example:

CREATE TABLE bigint_int_text_timestamp (
column_1 INT8,
column_2 INT,
column_3 TEXT,
column_4 TIMESTAMP);

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION get_reservations (int) RETURNS SETOF
bigint_int_text AS $$

SELECT r.id,
p.id,
description,