Re: Postmaster hangs until Ctrl-C

From: "Bryan White" <bryan(at)arcamax(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-novice list" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postmaster hangs until Ctrl-C
Date: 2001-04-05 15:55:27
Lists: pgsql-novice

> When I run postmaster, the system hangs until I Ctrl-C.

> Postgresql 6.4 was installed at the factory by the manufacturer (VA Linux)
with root ownership and permissions. I read the FAQ and Admin manual re
installation. There was no postgres user although VA did create a postgres
group. I created a postgres user, changed ownership on as many directories
as I can find with postgresql files, and I edited the pg_hba.conf file to
reflect the instructions in the Admin install manual. It doesn't matter
whether I su - postgres to start postmaster or not -- it still hangs.
Apparently I've missed something.

Yikes, 6.4 is ancient. I strongly suggest upgrading.

Anyway the postmaster runs until it stops. If you run it in the foreground
then it will stay connected to the tty and you will most likely see log file
output on that tty. It should normally be run in the background with its
output redirected somewhere useful. You normally want to do this in a
system boot up script somewhere. There are example scripts in the source
distribution.