Re: Changing the sponsors page

From: PostgreSQL - Hans-Jürgen Schönig <postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Sean Crowley <sean(dot)crowley(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Changing the sponsors page
Date: 2011-05-13 08:20:37
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

> On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 5:49 PM, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:
> All,
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/about/sponsors
>
> I don't like this page. I've been dragging my feet on updating it
> because I don't think it works the way it is at all.
>
> The current scheme of Platinum/Gold/Silver/Bronze was designed by Josh
> Drake, and put through because he did the web work to make it happen.
> However, I don't think the criteria there make a lot of sense, and we've
> never had consensus on the "level" scheme -- we've just kept what's
> there because nobody could be bothered to rework it. Furthermore, I
> don't think it's possible to come up with a consensus on any system
> which involves more than 2 levels and apply it.
>
> Therefore, I would like to simplify this page into two categories: Major
> Sponsors and Sponsors.
>
> Major Sponsors would be companies who have supported one or more
> full-time contributors, or the equivalent, for more than one year.
>
> Sponsors would be any company who has consistently contributed
> substantial developer time and/or money to PostgreSQL (i.e. several
> $thousand) for a year or more. A company which does *only* event
> sponsorships wouldn't count, because they already get credit through the
> event.
>
> I think this scheme would be a lot simpler and easier to maintain, and
> result in less arguing about what level someone should be.
>
> I think that is a good idea. And, a simpler way to reflect the commitment of
> those organizations supporting the community in a more democratic way (this
> isn't for a conference after all). It also allows you to recognize those in
> the community that have invested significant resources to further the
> development of PostgreSQL.

i would argue along the same line. two levels are enough.
major sponsor and sponsor seems like a good idea.

talking about this page: i just noticed that we are not on.
we have done a fair amount of ECPG patches and some other issues in the past.
maybe you can put us on as well ... we have been around for 11 years after all ;).

many thanks,

hans

--
Cybertec Schönig & Schönig GmbH