Re: Installing PostgreSQL 7.3.1 on windows 2000

From: "Agrawal, Manish" <MAgrawal(at)coba(dot)usf(dot)edu>
To: Pgsql-Cygwin <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Installing PostgreSQL 7.3.1 on windows 2000
Date: 2003-02-07 20:03:44
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Thanks very much Jason. It is indeed important to login as Administrator
while installing the windows version of pgsql and the installation was
smooth and easy. It would be nice if this was mentioned in the instructions
at
http://techdocs.postgresql.org/guides/InstallingOnWindows

But now I have 2 other problems. After successful installation, I
accidentally closed the pgsql command window (without stopping pgsql) to
download and install pgadmin. As a result:
(a) My computer shut down
(b) I cannot restart pgsql. The error message is attached as an image to
this email.

Would appreciate help in restarting pgsql.

Thanks
Manish

Agrawal, Manish wrote:
> I am trying to install the alpha version og pgsql 7.3.1 available at
> http://techdocs.postgresql.org/guides/InstallingOnWindows on windows
> 2000. The installation proceeds smoothly but I have the following
> problems:
>
> 1. At the end of the installation I briefly get the message:
> Administrator unknown, invalid user. I also did not get a prompt
> asking for a password. But I do have a user called Administrator in
> the group Administrators.

Hi Manish,

It sounds like you didn't install this when logged in as Administrator.

When it initialises the database as part of the installation process, it
creates a PostgreSQL superuser with the same name as whatever user you
installed it as.

What you're getting is the PostgreSQL error message say that it's never
heard of the user "Administrator", because it was initialised from a
different user account.

It's probably best if you uninstall it, then log in as Administrator and
install it again.

That _should_ (in theory) work.

> 2. When I type pg_ctl start on the Pgsql command shell, I get the
> message:
> $FATAL: File /data/PG_VERSION is missing. This is not a valid data
> directory.
>
> Would appreciate help. I am trying to understand the use of Pgsql to a
> fair extent so I can introduce it in an undergraduate elective class
> here.

Wow.

The present behaviour in the Alpha 1 release is going to change a fair
bit for the official release of PostgreSQL with windows support
(PostgreSQL 7.4).

If might be better to use the PeerDirect version, although you won't
have Schema support.

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

--
"My grandfather once told me that there are two kinds of people: those who
work and those who take the credit. He told me to try to be in the first

Attachment Content-Type Size
image/jpeg 33.3 KB