Re: Remove MSVC scripts from the tree

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
To: vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Shubham Khanna <khannashubham1197(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Remove MSVC scripts from the tree
Date: 2023-12-18 13:52:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 18.12.23 11:49, vignesh C wrote:
> Few comments:
> 1) Now that the MSVC build scripts are removed, should we have the
> reference to "MSVC build scripts" here?
> ltree.h:

I think this note is correct and can be kept, as it explains the
historical context.

> 2) I had seen that if sed/gzip is not available meson build will fail:
> 2.a)
> Program gsed sed found: NO
> meson.build:334:6: ERROR: Program 'gsed sed' not found or not executable

Yes, this would need to be improved. Currently, sed is only required if
either selinux or dtrace is enabled, which isn't supported on Windows.
But we should adjust the build scripts to not fail the top-level setup
run unless those options are enabled.

> 2.b)
> Program gzip found: NO
> meson.build:337:7: ERROR: Program 'gzip' not found or not executable

gzip is only required for certain test suites, so again we should adjust
the build scripts to not fail the build but instead skip the tests as
appropriate.