Extracting data from deprecated MONEY fields

From: "Ken Winter" <ken(at)sunward(dot)org>
To: "PostgreSQL pg-general List" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Extracting data from deprecated MONEY fields
Date: 2008-06-06 03:02:07
Lists: pgsql-general

I understand from
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/datatype-money.html that the
"money" data type is deprecated.

So I want to convert the data from my existing "money" columns into new
un-deprecated columns, e.g. with type "decimal(10,2)". But every SQL
command I try tells me I can't cast or convert "money" data into any other
type I have tried, including decimal, numeric, varchar, and text.

Is there any way to do this?

~ TIA

~ Ken