records chaining

From: tövis <tovises(at)freemail(dot)hu>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: records chaining
Date: 2005-04-18 19:08:28
Lists: pgsql-novice

I need record changing history. Of course I need to keep old records, and some how point to it for show changes. First of my idea is to make a single column in every record pointing to his "parent" but after I started thinking how SQL can handle it. Whats your opinion, is it possible to write a recursive SELECT to get all records back to that whats parent reference has no reference (NULL)? At this moment I would be happy to know that is it possible - I'm only planning and migrating an old database, the coding seem to be "far" away.
Thanks in advance
Gábor Rózsa