Re: BUG #1542: pg_dump seg fault

From: "Andrew Slobodyanyk" <slob(at)ukr(dot)net>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #1542: pg_dump seg fault
Date: 2005-03-15 09:53:04
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> Hmmm. What did you do to "delete that table" exactly? The crash
To tell the truth, I delete the table using Windows PgAdmin. I guess it has
done the same operation, hasn't it?

> suggests that there is a row in pg_rewrite that links to a nonexistent
> row in pg_class. It'd be better if pg_dump emitted a more useful
> failure message, of course,

It would be nice if pg_dump could backup the information from other tables,
not only showing failure message.

> but the real question is how did your system catalogs get into such a
state ...
I agree. I ask people at #postgres for tools to check state of the DB, if
structure is
alive or corrupt, because in other cases I could only guess that something
is wrong when pg_dump fails. Would you like me to send you a copy of data?