Re: Selecting the logfile

From: Maximilian Tyrtania <lists(at)contactking(dot)de>
To: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Selecting the logfile
Date: 2011-04-17 15:50:42
Lists: pgadmin-support

Am 17.04.2011 um 17:13 schrieb Guillaume Lelarge:

>> Indeed, clicking on the log pane enables that popup menu. Maybe this could be improved upon.
>> Anyway, thanks for your help.
>
> Actually, the improvement was to make it that way. You only have access
> to available tools for the selected pane. You don't need the cancel
> query button if you didn't select a row in the activity pane or the lock
> pane which has a query running. You don't need the logfile selection
> combobox if you're not on the log pane.

Ah, i see, fair enough. Otoh, I've never been a big fan of this "disable controls and let the user figure out why they are disabled"-school of UI-Design. In my apps i let my controls enabled and show an alert explaining why they can't be used under the current circumstances (or use a helptag). Saves me from having to deal with a lot of support incidents, like this one.

And in this particular window, your enabling-strategy would be easier to grasp, if the controls that "work together" would be located next to each other.

Just my 2 cents.

Max

Maximilian Tyrtania Software-Entwicklung
http://www.contactking.de