Re: [spam] Re: [mail] Re: Native Win32 sources

From: "Al Sutton" <al(at)alsutton(dot)com>
To: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
Cc: "Hannu Krosing" <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>, "bpalmer" <bpalmer(at)crimelabs(dot)net>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [spam] Re: [mail] Re: Native Win32 sources
Date: 2002-11-28 07:23:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

It's an option, but I can see it being a bit of an H-Bomb to kill an ant if
the Win32 source appears within the next 6 weeks.

I've played used cygwin before and I've always been uncomfortable with the
way it's integrated with Windows. It always came accross as something that
isn't really for the windows masses, but more for techies who want Unix on
an MS platform. My main dislikes about it are;

- Changing paths. If my developers install something in c:\temp they expect
to find it under /temp on cygwin.

- Duplicating home directories. The users already have a home directory
under MS, why does cygwin need to use a different location?

My current plan is to use the Win32 native port myself when it first appears
and thrash our app against it. Once I'm happy that the major functionality
of our app works against the Win32 port, I'll introduce it to a limited
number of developers who enjoy hacking code if it goes wrong and get them to
note a log any problems the come accross.

If nothing else it should mean a few more bodies testing the Win32 port
(although I expect you'll find they'll be a large number of those as soon as
it hits CVS).

Al.