Re: SQL fast in PSQL, very slow using MS.NET driver

From: "Ashish Sharma" <ashish(at)coredbsystems(dot)com>
To: <francisco(at)npgsql(dot)org>, "'Hannu Krosing'" <hannu(at)krosing(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SQL fast in PSQL, very slow using MS.NET driver
Date: 2008-04-10 08:27:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thanks for the response. Below are the details:

> > On Wed, 2008-04-09 at 18:33 +0530, Ashish Sharma wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >

> Hi, all!!

> > > The setup in question includes PostGRESQL v8.2.4, Java based web
> > > servers and MS.NET based web servers. Following is the fuzzy
> > > situation:
> > >
> > > 1. Our SQL queries run very fast using PSQL (both, from the
> > > server as well as the client).
> > >
> > > 2. The Java app also retrieves the results very fast (of course,
> > > we are using Postgres JDBC driver).
> > >
> > > 3. But, the same SQL queries perform pathetically slow when
> > > called from .NET application. The driver being used is NPGSQL.
> > >

> What queries are you running?

We are running normal SQLs and DMLs. Even simple queries like "select * from..." are showing the described behavior.

> What version of Npgsql?

NPGSQL ver. 1.97.1.0

> Are you using prepared statements? We have performance issues with
> prepared statements. If it is so, can you try without prepared
> statements?

We are not you prepared statements.

> You can discuss this also in our forums:
>
> forums.npgsql.org

The dotNet version we are using is 2.0, PostgreSQL 8.2.4 (on RHEL4)

Appreciate the support.

Regards,
Ashish Sharma

Checked by AVG.