Re: $PostgreSQL$ for revision info

From: "Peter Galbavy" <peter(dot)galbavy(at)knowtion(dot)net>
To: "Rod Taylor" <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "PostgreSQL Development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: $PostgreSQL$ for revision info
Date: 2003-05-23 13:20:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca> writes:
>> Would anyone object to replacing $Header$ and $Id$ with $PostgreSQL$
>> for a file version marker?
>
> I don't really care to depend on a nonstandard CVS setup...

This is pretty 'standard' and well understood in the *BSD and other worlds.
I cannot recall the exact details, but I believe it requires a minor change
on the CVS server (only).

> You might consider checking out with one of the -k options to suppress
> the ID markers in your own copy.

But then it becomes much harder to generate diffs to the 'real' version
versus your own working copy, which may go through your local repository
many times.

Peter