Re: PG Admin

From: Bob Pawley <rjpawley(at)shaw(dot)ca>
To: Tony Caduto <tony_caduto(at)amsoftwaredesign(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PG Admin
Date: 2006-12-06 16:29:21
Lists: pgsql-general

> What exactly are the restrictions of a serial column? It's just standard
> integer value with a default value that calls the nextval function.

The deletion process produces gaps and/or voids. The only way to resurect
the gapless sequence, starting at 1, is to drop and re-create the table or
serial column.

Dropping and recreating does the job but it can be unstable and requires
either on or two extra tables for each sequence you wish to generate.

Bob