Re: Looking for speakers for Open Source Bootcamp

From: "Andrew Ross" <grof(at)rogers(dot)com>
To: "'Josh Berkus'" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Looking for speakers for Open Source Bootcamp
Date: 2008-04-13 21:41:13
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Hi Josh,

Thank you for the quick reply and for the support.

For osbootcamp5, Carleton University has generously provided a *very* big
room so there's no problem with space. All are welcome and I do ask
attendees to email osbootcamp(at)gmail(dot)org to let us know you're coming so we
have enough food.

You're correct about newbie oriented talks. So far we've been running around
75% students with some but not a lot of open source experience. For our
summer events, we're doing work to invite even more business and some
government people to push the outreach aspect of osbootcamp and hopefully
help the students find employers/employers find students.

You're right about the other events out there. I have nothing but good
things to say about the events I've been to. osbootcamp is aimed at open
source newbies in a format they can realistically digest. It aims to give
them a good sense of the software/community and tell them where to find out
more. Talks are short to keep people fresh and engaged. osbootcamp covers
everything open source which is a nice feeder program/series for more
specialized events like bsdcon, pgcon, OLS, EclipseCon, etc. It's a gateway
to helping people make their way to less newbie aimed events such as
barcamp/democamp. This is how I see it anyhow. :-)

Thank you again,

Andrew
http://osbootcamp.org