Re: [DOCS] crash problem

From: terry(at)greatgulfhomes(dot)com
To: "'Tom Lane'" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Postgres (E-mail)" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [DOCS] crash problem
Date: 2002-06-21 11:46:27
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-general

100% positive the dump program and database are 7.1, from the same release.
I have been intending to upgrade to 7.2, but have not actually done it on
that server yet.

I tried to run reindex, but it told me I have to use -O -P to go into
standalone mode. But it does not recognize those flags. Hmmm. So then I
went to /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql to put the flags directly into the
startup script, still cannot get it to start, but I notice that the version
the script says I am running is 7.0.3

I went to the site to look at the docs (about time, eh?) and made sure I got
the standalone options right, but here's what happens:
bash$ postmaster -D $PGDATA -O -P devtest
usage: postmaster [options]
-B nbufs set number of shared buffers
-D datadir set data directory
-S silent mode (disassociate from tty)
-a system use this authentication system
-b backend use a specific backend server executable
-d [1-5] set debugging level
-i listen on TCP/IP sockets as well as Unix domain
socket
-N nprocs set max number of backends (1..1024, default 32)
-n don't reinitialize shared memory after abnormal exit
-o option pass 'option' to each backend servers
-p port specify port for postmaster to listen on
-s send SIGSTOP to all backend servers if one dies
bash$

Presumably it does not like my commands, I guess there are unsupported in
7.0.3. How do I do a REINDEX in 7.0.3?

ie how do I get to standalone mode in 7.0.3?

I did not send this to the docs newsgroup, obviously I should be sending it
to the general group, I will subscribe to general and send my stuff there, I
thought I had been, sorry.

Terry Fielder
Network Engineer
Great Gulf Homes / Ashton Woods Homes