pgsql oid question

From: "Reggie Burnett" <rykr(at)bellsouth(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pgsql oid question
Date: 2003-01-05 06:23:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I have started experimenting with an access layer for pgsql and have a
question. I had someone on this list tell me that the oid values that
come back from the server are tag identifiers for that row/column
combination and are not type indicators. Yet, when I create multiple
tables/columns each having the same type (int32), the same oid keeps
being returned.

What am I not getting? Can someone point me to a good overview of the
internals of PostgreSQL so that I can read up on this? I have scanned
through the source but still do not have a clear picture.

Thanks
Reggie