limiting parallelism in "make check"

From: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Subject: limiting parallelism in "make check"
Date: 2003-10-28 06:44:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I recently posted a patch to pg_regress to limit parallelism for cygwin to a maximum of 10, so that "make check" could succeed. Tom preferred that this should be settable by the user explicitly rather than hard coded (and hidden), and not limited by platform, so that you could say

make MAX_CONNECTIONS=10 check

or

pg_regress --max-connections=10

Adding these switches should be quite straightforward., and I'm prepared to do it. I think it's important that we can run "make check" everywhere.

A slightly simpler alternative would be to provide "make serialcheck" which would run the serial schedule of tests in a temp installation.

Thoughts?

andrew