Lower record

From: "Abe" <abe(at)fish(dot)tm>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Subject: Lower record
Date: 2000-12-24 00:51:31
Lists: pgsql-general

Hey Guys,

This is probably a trivial question to most but I can't figure it out. I am
doing a previous button and I need to select the record that has a lower
comment id than the current one. The problem is I cant use commentid-1
becuase the commentid's are not incremented by one each time but by
different numbers. I also cant use the following:

$sql = "select threadid, commentid, name, detail from comments where
commentid < '$commentid' and threadid='$threadid'";

because it gets the lowest value comment whereas what I want is the highest
value comment but lower that $commentid (so basically the one immediately
below this one).

Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks,
Abe