Re: Lightspeed for frmQuery and other issues.

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>, <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Lightspeed for frmQuery and other issues.
Date: 2006-04-30 15:04:47
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

-----Original Message-----
From: "Andreas Pflug"<pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
Sent: 30/04/06 15:27:52
To: "Dave Page"<dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: "pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org"<pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>

> Simply select some non-adjacent cells in arbitrary cols and rows.

That shouldn't work - there's no sane way to handle it. It should be prevented though.

> The implementation did not meet the primary requirement, so I objected
> clearly and early. You decided to commit an half-brewn "enhancement"
> based on a technique that was known not to meet the TODO, i.e. doing it
> with a virtual control. You can't be too surprised I basically rolled
> back that beast, to have the first step made before the second.

When asked for further info about *that* todo, you didn't give any helpful answers :-(

However, I am not complaining about that change - I am complaining that a copy/paste feature was removed - that is unrelated to the virtual listview/grid issue.

> The reporting stuff is going to frustrate you and me as well. I tried to
> fix at least the menuing stuff, but had to retract, realizing that you
> kind-of reinvented the most ugly interaction between the MNU_
> enumeration and schema objects acting on that I removed months ago. This
> basically means that it can't be refactored partially, but essentially
> needs rewrite. The current implementation style is that of pgAdmin 0.1
> to 1.2, which was becoming more and more painful when adding new
> features. I'm less than inclined to accept having this creeping back in.

Like I said, I'll look at changing it to work like the other menus you suggested - but if you're saying the factories cannot do what is required, then they either need fixing, or it can stay as is.

/D

-----Unmodified Original Message-----
Dave Page wrote:

> -----Original Message----- From: "Andreas
> Pflug"<pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de> Sent: 30/04/06 14:48:08 To: "Dave
> Page"<dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk> Cc:
> "pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org"<pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
> Subject: Re: Lightspeed for frmQuery and other issues.
>

>> EditGrid is untouched. copying of arbitrary groups of cells did
>> *never* work correct. The current implementation will omit cells if
>> it doesn't know how to handle it. This is not acceptable: The ctl
>> needs to be rewritten to not accept selections that can't be
>> executed.
>

> I've never run into such a bug, nor has it been reported. How can it
> be reproduced?

Simply select some non-adjacent cells in arbitrary cols and rows.

Had it been reported, it would have been looked at of
> course.
>

>> As I already may have mentioned earlier, I don't intend to spent
>> time on the crappy wxGrid. So if anybody else likes to do so,
>> he/she should pay attention not to change the ctlSQLResult
>> interface for that.
>

> With or without a bug, removing useful functionality is completely
> unnacceptable. You would be understandably pissed off if a feature
> you used was removed, and I would ensure the author reimplemented it,
> or rollback the change. Bug aside, please fix the copy to clipboard
> to match what was there.

The implementation did not meet the primary requirement, so I objected
clearly and early. You decided to commit an half-brewn "enhancement"
based on a technique that was known not to meet the TODO, i.e. doing it
with a virtual control. You can't be too surprised I basically rolled
back that beast, to have the first step made before the second.

The reporting stuff is going to frustrate you and me as well. I tried to
fix at least the menuing stuff, but had to retract, realizing that you
kind-of reinvented the most ugly interaction between the MNU_
enumeration and schema objects acting on that I removed months ago. This
basically means that it can't be refactored partially, but essentially
needs rewrite. The current implementation style is that of pgAdmin 0.1
to 1.2, which was becoming more and more painful when adding new
features. I'm less than inclined to accept having this creeping back in.

Regards,
Andreas