Re: Beginning SSL Questions

From: "Jeanna Geier" <jgeier(at)apt-cafm(dot)com>
To: "Michael Fuhr" <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
Cc: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Beginning SSL Questions
Date: 2006-09-20 20:33:18
Lists: pgadmin-support pgsql-admin

Hi All-

Hopefully someone here has some OpenSSL expertise and can help me with a
problem I'm running into...

My main goal is to build Postgres with ssl enabled - building on Windows
using MinGW; to do that I need a server.crt and server.key file generated
from OpenSSL. So here's what I've done over the past few days:

Downloaded and installed:
- Mingw
- msys
- zlib-1.2.3 - installed under C:\msys\1.0 directory
- postgresql-8.1.4 source - installed and compiled under C:\msys\1.0
directory (using --with-openssl option and "ssl=on" in postgresql.conf)
- openssl-0.9.8c source - installed and compiled under C:\msys\1.0
directory

I've been able to successfully create the 'template0' and 'template1'
prototype db's in postgres, but cannot start postmaster without the key and
certificate files:
$ postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data/
2006-09-20 15:16:38 FATAL:could not load server certificate file
"server.crt": No such file or directory

So, I changed to the openssl-0.9.8c directory to build my keyfile and
certificate and am having no luck and could really use someone's expertise!!
When I enter the command line option to generate the keyfile, it says it's
generating the file, but it just hangs there.... I've left it running, but
it doesn't complete, it only outputs the two lines with '.......++++++' and
stops:

$ openssl genrsa -des3 -out server.key 2048
Generating RSA private key, 2048 bit long modulus
........................................+++
......+++

In the 'C:\msys\1.0\openssl-0.9.8c' directory, it creates a 'server.key'
file, but it is empty (0 KB). The only way I can get it to exit out of this
is to use ctl+c.

PLEASE HELP!! I've been working on this all week with no luck and could
really use some help!! I've tried uninstalling and re-installing and
re-compiling OpenSSL (in different locations) with the same results. When I
compile it, it appears to compile without any problems...

Thanks much,
-Jeanna