System tuning

From: "Gyorgy Molnar" <yuri(at)powercom(dot)com(dot)sg>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: System tuning
Date: 2004-02-22 21:11:16
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-interfaces

Greetings,

I have a Linux RedHat 9.0 computer. It has 1G memory. Is there anybody who
could help me to fine tune the Kernel for PgSql, and also the with the
proper settings for the PgSql server. I have two additional java program
running on that computer, otherwise I used a custom installation with the
minimal neccessary packages (No X-Server is initalled).

I read the docuentation, and also the PostgreSQL Hardware Performance Tuning
by Bruce Momjian.

Both of them was very usefull, I could manage to come up with the
configuration. Everything works fine, but I'm not sure I have chosen the
best settings.

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,
Yuri

ps. I almost forgot; I need 64 connections at the same times, and the max
record length is aroung 1024 bytes.