Re: Extra XLOG in Checkpoint for StandbySnapshot

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila(at)huawei(dot)com>
To: "'Andres Freund'" <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: "'Simon Riggs'" <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Extra XLOG in Checkpoint for StandbySnapshot
Date: 2013-01-09 08:34:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tuesday, January 08, 2013 8:57 PM Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2013-01-08 20:33:28 +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
> <amit(dot)kapila(at)huawei(dot)com>

> allows
> > > you
> > > won't
> standbys

> below
> > > conds.

> > > running

> the
> > > premise.

> system
> > > idle.
> > >
> > > I can't really follow what you want to do here. The snapshot is
> only
> > > logged if a checkpoint is performed anyway? As recovery starts at
> (the
> > > logical) checkpoint's location we need to log a snapshot exactly
> > > there. If you want to avoid activity when the system is idle you
> need
> > > prevent checkpoints from occurring itself.
> >
> > Even if the checkpoint is scheduled, it doesn't perform actual
> operation if
> > there's nothing logged between
> > current and previous checkpoint due to below check in
> CreateCheckPoint()
> > function.
> > if (curInsert == ControlFile->checkPoint +
> > MAXALIGN(SizeOfXLogRecord +
> sizeof(CheckPoint)) &&
> > ControlFile->checkPoint ==
> > ControlFile->checkPointCopy.redo)
> >
> > But if we set the wal_level as hot_standby, it will log snapshot, now
> next
> > time again when function CreateCheckPoint()
> > will get called due to scheduled checkpoint, the above check will
> fail and
> > it will again log snapshot, so this will continue, even if the system
> is
> > totally idle.
> > I understand that it doesn't cause any problem, but I think it is
> better if
> > the repeated log of snapshot in this scenario can be avoided.
>
> ISTM in that case you "just" need a way to cope with the additionally
> logged record in the above piece of code. Not logging seems to be the
> entirely wrong way to go at this.

I think one of the ways code can be modified is as below:

+ /*size of running transactions log when there is no
active transation*/
+ if (!shutdown && XLogStandbyInfoActive())
+ {
+ runningXactXLog =
MAXALIGN(MinSizeOfXactRunningXacts) + SizeOfXLogRecord;
+ }

! if (curInsert == ControlFile->checkPoint +
! MAXALIGN(SizeOfXLogRecord + sizeof(CheckPoint)) &&
! ControlFile->checkPoint ==
ControlFile->checkPointCopy.redo)

! if (curInsert == ControlFile->checkPoint +
! MAXALIGN(SizeOfXLogRecord + sizeof(CheckPoint)) &&
! ControlFile->checkPoint ==
ControlFile->checkPointCopy.redo + runningXactXLog)

Second condition is checking the last checkpoint WAL position with the
current one.
Since ControlFile->checkPointCopy.redo holds the value before "running
Xact" WAL was inserted
and ControlFile->checkPoint holds the value after "running Xact" WAL got
inserted, so if no new WAL was inserted apart from "running Xacts" and
"Checkpoint" WAL, then this condition will be true.

> Not logging seems to be the entirely wrong way to go at this.

True.

> I admit its not totally simple, but making HS less predictable seems
> like a cure *far* worse than the disease.

Right, that's why I am trying to figure out if there can be a way to handle
without any compromise on HS.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.