Re: Simple query takes a long time on win2K

From: "A(dot) Mous" <a(dot)mous(at)shaw(dot)ca>
To: 'Magnus Hagander' <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>, 'Tom Lane' <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: 'Richard Huxton' <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, "'Joshua D(dot) Drake'" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, 'Lincoln Yeoh' <lyeoh(at)pop(dot)jaring(dot)my>, pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Simple query takes a long time on win2K
Date: 2005-03-24 03:49:22
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers-win32

Thank you all for your input, and thanks about the tip on ethereal - cool
program. Here's what I've found out from today's testing:

The total size of the recordset that is being served up is about 500kb.
When serving across a network, the time to deliver the records to the client
is largely dependent on the hardware doing the serving (as expected) and
regardless of which OS (Win 2K pro or XP pro). The thing that really threw
me off, and still does is when the same data is served up locally. In this
case, all test win2K machines (Celeron 400 up to pIII 800) retrieved the
data from disk in under 100ms but took an additional 4000ms to send to the
local client. This is observed even if QoS packet scheduler is installed.
By contrast, Win XP serves up locally nice and fast, even when installed on
exactly the same hardware that was used for the win2K test.

Thanks to all for your help and insight on this one, although I'm still
puzzled by the behaviour on the win2K boxes serving locally.

Cheers.