Startup messages

From: "Chris Smith" <chris(at)mindiq(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Startup messages
Date: 2004-02-13 17:27:43
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hope you don't mind the questions.

I'm working through the JDBC driver code. The connection code really confuses
me. It seems like if we're speaking the V3 protocol successfully, we ought to
be able to assume that the server is at least 7.4. That would seem to remove
a lot of the complexity of the open-connection code for v3 - namely, the
client encoding stuff that contains backward-compatibility code all the way
back to 7.1, and the 'show autocommit' that seems to have been an issue only
for 7.3. Assuming 7.4, I think we could jsut assume autocommit and set the
client encoding to UNICODE in the startup message, and be done with it.
Right?

(Note: I don't actually know anything about the actual defaults and concerns
here. I'm getting my information from other code in the driver that makes
these same assumptions that I'm proposing to make here. If one of these
assumptions is wrong, then it's the *other* code that needs to be fixed.)

Comments?

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation